Monday, July 16, 2012

"look," said He, "look and truly see."

How do you see God?

It's written in the bible (in a few places, I think) that if any living being were to look upon God face to face, while in a mortal body, they will surely perish. One example of this is here, in Exodus 33:30, "And He said, 'thou cannot see my face, for no one shall see me and live.' " So, going literally by these words, we an't able to, while we live on earth in our mortal bodies, see God. Yet here I am dedicating a blog to just that. Sure a lot of my topics lately have been more just ambling talks of different things relating to God and us and Christianity, but it's all in some way tied into the things I see and hear and feel in my daily life that show me His presence.

So, how do I see God? I see Him in the face of every individual I pass, in every unsolicited smile. I see Him in the way a man stops the stampede of people trying to get on the bus so that a couple with two small children can get by without difficulty. I see Him in the chalk drawings on the path in the city's park, leftover from a church youth group who came and drew crosses and scripture on the stone walkway. I see Him in the sticker on the post box by the street, with a cross and the text, "Smile, God loves you." In this way, I see Him in the work of humans.

I also see Him in the flower my mother placed in a glass vase by the sink, in the way the color fades perfectly from pale sunshine at the tips to the deepest gold in the center. I see Him each morning and evening in the sunrise and set, and in how it truly is the most awe-inspiring, the most perfect of watercolor paintings. During the day, He is there in the detailed puffs and wisps of each cloud in the sky. At night, when the world has quieted, He is the amazing span of diamonds high outside my window. He is there in each and every creature in the forest surrounding my home.

And of course, coming closer to my heart, He is the love I feel for my family, though I may not always like them. He is the bond I feel with my husband. He is the laughter and fun I enjoy with my dearest friends. He is the gratitude and grace I feel each time I stop and think of all that He has done, and all that He surely will.

So then, how do you see God? How, when according to some there is supposedly no proof or evidence that He exists at all, do you witness His hand in the workings of the world?

It is simple.

You see God by opening your eyes to what is already there and seeing it in a way that perhaps you never even imagined you could. You see God by seeing the world; by seeing that it is not always beautiful but that, somehow, that lack of beauty and those perfect imperfections lend it a certain quality that it is all the more beautiful for.

You see God by seeing yourself. Because who other than the Lord himself could make something as perfect as you?

Prayer Requests:
For those who's eyes are still unopened, that their eyelids begin to flutter open into the light of a new day.



Oh, and a random PS: big shout out to Russia, for being the only country beside my own who apparently reads my blog. Hi!

No comments:

Post a Comment